Sunday, November 1, 2009

SPACE HULK: Space Hulk unboxed

It's a wet and windy day up here in North East England, so much so that a ridge tile blew off the roof and hit the windscreen of my car earlier. Once I'd moved the car - the windscreen was miraculously unmarked - and took a look at the weather I decided I'd spend the rest of the day indoors, earning brownie points with my girlfriend by not hiding out in my games room painting my AI models (I plan to paint them on Tuesday night and possibly take a day off work next week). We curled up on the sofa and watch some telly but it wasn't long before I felt the urge to scratch my gaming itch. But what to do?

I sneaked off to my games room and brought Space Hulk back into the living room. For an hour or two while I watched Life and In Treatment I clipped the models from their sprues and popped the card components out.

The game is every bit as impressive as I've heard. The card corridors and rooms are the thickest I've ever seen in a board game and the graphics are superb and very atmospheric. The models are excellent, dripping with detail. I'd heard a few complaints that some of the Genestealer models were fragile and broke easily when removed from their sprue so I was extra careful. They all came free in one piece.

I timed my egg timer to check how close it was to three minutes. It came out at 2:47 which puts a bit more pressure on the Marines!

I plan to paint all of the models for Space Hulk at some point in the future - the Terminators slotting into my Blood Angels army and the Tyranids into a Cities of Death themed 40k force. I'll have to check out other blogs and forum message boards to see if anyone has successfully managed to incorporate the non standard bases onto 40k sized ones.

So I'll pack Space Hulk away for now and watch a bit more telly, perhaps leafing through a copy of the latest White Dwarf magazine.

Lazy Sunday afternoon indeed...

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an excellent way to spend a windy sunday.

    Now, what are the chances of getting your girlfriend getting involved in a game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather here was awful yesterday wasn't it? I went to my gaming club though ignoring the common sense option of staying indoors! Wish I had though, was absolutely rotten getting there!
    As for the bases, I know Ron on FTW did a quick piece on the Terminators on 40k bases but not sure I've seen anyone do the same with the Genestealers. I imagine a few of the more scenic based 'stealers might be something of a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Col. Corbane - Slim to none! I showed her some of the bits and pieces from the game but she couldn't have been less interested.

    ReplyDelete