Friday, March 21, 2008

GENERAL: Bi-monthly book update

A while back, in this post, I listed all the books I own. I made a resolution to read them all before I bought any new ones. It's been a while so I thought I'd update the list.

Obviously, I didn't keep to the resolution.

The first problem was that I was ordering some stuff from Amazon and I was just a bit short of qualifying for free postage. So had a trawl through the site and ordered the Souldrinker and Space Wolf omnibuses. Oops. That'll be six more novels then.

I spotted Legion by Dan Abnett in Forbidden Planet, days before the official Games Workshop release date. Of course I had to buy it. Seven books.

I'm currently halfway through Only in Death by Dan Abnett. I was planning on waiting until the paperback was released but I unexpectedly got a voucher for WH Smith and spunked it on this book. Eight novels. Rats.

Then I heard the news that Black Industries was shutting down, just days after the release of the 40k RPG. I had originally planned on picking up the book sometime, but I wasn't in any sort of hurry. Now I was worried that the books would be quickly snapped up never to be seen again so I went out and bought the book. I managed to read all of the background sections, which were the main bits I was interested in. It's unlikely I'll ever use the book to play the role playing game but I plan on getting around to the game mechanic sections too. While I was at it I picked up the Gamemaster's screen too.

Still on the gamebook side of things I read through the rest of the 40k Ork Codex. It's got a good amount of background information and the list itself looks very strong and characterful. I'd love to get an army of these nutters together.

On the plus side, I did manage to actually finish some novels too. I finished Ravenor Rogue and therefore concluded the Ravenor trilogy. I didn't write a review for it because I haven't yet done reviews for the first two books. At some point I'll return to them all.

I also read Storm of Iron by Graham McNeill. That was a good, solid novel which was unusually written from the point of view of the 'bad guys.' Now that I've finished this tale I can move on to the rest of the Ultramarines trilogy which I gather draws upon Storm of Iron.

So, here is the final tally.

Books bought.
  • Space Wolf
  • Ragnar's Claw
  • Grey Hunter
  • Soul Drinker
  • The Bleeding Chalice
  • Crimson Tears
  • 40k RPG
  • Only in Death
  • Legion

Books read.
  • Ravenor Rogue
  • Storm of Iron
  • 40k RPG
  • Ork codex

Here's what I already own and still need to read:
  • Only in Death
  • Inquisition sourcebook
  • Imperial Armour Three: The Taros campaign
  • Liber Chaotica
  • Storm of Chaos
  • Imperial Infantryman's Primer (Damocles Gulf edition)
  • The Life of Sigmar
  • Faith and Fire
  • Dark Apostle
  • Cardinal Crimson
  • Warriors of Ultramar
  • Dead Sky, Black Sun
  • 13th Legion
  • Kill Team
  • Annihilation Squad
I'll be back in another two months to give you another peek into my reading habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment